Thursday, July 22, 2010

Car Accident

As usual, I drove along Jalan Boon Lay towards AYE to work this morning at 8.25am.  About 20m from the junction between Jalan Boon Lay & Boon Lay Way, a motorist from lane 3 suddenly filtered to my lane at lane 2 without checking his blind spot.  I stepped on the brake slightly harder than normal to slow down the car to avoid hitting him.  The next thing I knew was I heard a loud noise.  I knew immediately that the car behind me must have banged to my car.  I went down to check and noticed that there was a small dent at the lower left hand corner of the bumper.  A few seconds later, a young lady in her 20s, came out from her car too.  Before I could question her, she said to me softly that I should not jam my blake.  I got a little angry and told her off that had I not slowed down, I would have knocked down the motorist.  She inspected her car and pointed to me that her left hand corner of her front bumper was also damaged.  Knowing that she is at fault, she said that since both our cars are only slightly damaged and that she was late for work, could I not pursued the matter.  I reluctantly agreed and she said thank you.  I did not take down her particulars or her car plate number.  When she droved passed my car, my wife quickly took down her car plate no. as SJM3340 just to play safe.

When I told my friend about this accident, he advised me that even though I agreed not to pursed the matter, it is best to report the incident to my insurance company as a record which I did at Toyota Centre located at 2 Pandan Crescent.  This is because we would never know what the other party would do.  She may report to her insurance company and twisted the accident to her advantage and claim against me.

In future, I would make it a point to take down at least the particulars and the car plate number of the other driver.

No comments:

Post a Comment