Thursday, February 11, 2010

DVD 1/2010 - 十月围城 (Bodyguards and Assassins)

I watched the most movies during my army days and "拍拖" time but I have seen very few in recent years. Price for movie ticket has increased quite substantially while it is getting cheaper to buy DVD. Also, with bigger and better quality LCD TV, it makes sense to watch DVD instead. I enjoyed watching DVD with my family members. I watched only 2 movies but more than 10 DVDs last year.

I watched 十月围城 last night, the first DVD movie in 2010. It received very good reviews when the movie was shown in the cinema in Dec 09. Most reviewers gave at least a 4-stars rating. It is also nominated for 19 awards for 第29届香港金像奖 to be held on 18 Apr 2010. It must be very good right? Not really! The movie has not lived up to the hype, in my opinion. It is, at best, an above average show. I would give a 3.5 star in term of entertainment value. But hey! 3.5 star is already a very good rating from me considering the fact there are hardly any good chinese movies nowadays! The best chinese movie that I have seen last year was 保持连络 (Stay Connected), a highly entertaining show which deserves a 4-star rating.

PS:- 十月围城 has a simple story line whereby 8 original people come together, each with their own reaons, to protect Dr Sun Yet Sen from assassins while he visits Hong Kong.

No comments:

Post a Comment